Summer has arrived and BC Children’s Hospital is encouraging parents and caregivers to keep children safe near windows and on balconies. So far this year, three children have been treated at BC Children’s after falling from a window.
• Move furniture and planters—or anything that can be climbed on—away from windows.
• Install window guards on windows above the ground floor. Fasten windows so that they cannot open more than 10 centimetres wide. Ensure there’s a safety release in case of fire.
• Talk to your children about the dangers of opening or playing near windows, particularly on upper floors of the home or in a high-rise dwelling.
• Remember that screens keep bugs out, not children in! Screens are easily pushed out.
• Don’t underestimate a child’s mobility; children begin climbing before they can walk.