by Alyssa Bauman, Nourished.ca
I know I say this often, but soup is so easy, so hearty, and so delicious that I just really don’t get the “I don’t have time to be healthy” complaints. Made with basic pantry staples, these savoury soups are loaded with antioxidants, protein, fibre, and so much flavour and flair. Bonus: Double these recipes and freeze them for a quick warm-me-up later in the week.
Recipe: Mexican Lentil Soup
- 2 tbsp coconut olive oil
- 1 cups yellow onion diced
- 1/2 cups celery diced
- 1 cups carrots diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cups lentils rinsed and drained
- 6 cups vegetable or organic chicken broth
- 1 14 oz jar crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper seeded and minced
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 cups fresh cilantro chopped
- Avocado optional
- Goat cheese optional
- Squeeze of fresh lime optional
- In a large pot, heat coconut oil over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery and carrots.
- Cook until tender, 8-10 minutes.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute.
- Add the lentils, vegetable broth, tomatoes, jalapeño, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper and cilantro.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Garnish with sliced avocado, lime and goat cheese (optional). Enjoy!
Related: How To Get Your Kids To Eat Veggies
Recipe: Veggie-Centric Soba Noodles
- 1 cup soba noodles
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 onion cut into thin moons
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 carrots cut into matchsticks
- 8 mushrooms cut into bite size pieces (I like shitake)
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cups Bragg’s liquid amino acid gluten free and healthier soy sauce alternative
- 1/2 lb firm tofu cut into cubes
- 1 tbsp ginger freshly grated
- 2 cups greens (bok choy, kale, spinach) chopped
- 2 Scallions sliced
- Prepare noodles according to package. Drain set aside.
- Heat oil in a large pot. Add onion, garlic; sauté until onion begins to soften.
- Add carrots, mushrooms; sauté a few minutes more.
- Add water, Bragg’s, tofu and ginger. Bring heat up to a simmer. Cover and let simmer 10 minutes.
- Add greens until leaves are bright green.
- Ladle soup over noodles. Garnish with scallions.
Recipe: Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
- Olive oil
- 1 butternut squash halved and seeded
- 1 onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 4 carrots chopped into cubes
- 1 thumb fresh ginger peeled
- 1 cup organic low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup organic unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 tbsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cilantro and hot chilli flakes
- Slice squash in half lengthwise and deseed.
- Place on baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with sea salt salt. Place in over at 350F for about an hour. (This can be done ahead of time as well)
- While squash is roasting, sauté onions and garlic in medium pot in olive oil until translucent.
- Add carrots, cut and peeled ginger and 1/2 broth and simmer for 15-20 minutes, until carrots are soft. Salt to taste. Add cumin.
- Stir and cover on low. When squash is soft all way throw thickest part take out from oven. Let cool 3 minutes, or enough so you don’t burn yourself.
- With a spoon scoop out fresh squash from outer peel. Yum. Add to carrot, onion mixture. Stir together.
- Add rest of broth. Transfer to blender and puree until smooth.
- Transfer back in pot and add coconut milk. Stir and simmer 2 minutes. Garnish with cilantro, pepper and chilli.